Thursday, January 10, 2008

Good line from a movie

Yesterday I was watching the DVD of the film The Bridge to Terabithia, which I had missed when it was released to the theaters. Some will be aware that it is the story -- charming and poignant, from a book about 30 years back written by Katherine Paterson -- of Jess, a boy who lives in a rural setting, and Leslie, a new neighbor girl who has just moved from the city with her parents. (Excellent movie, and it's my intent to read the book.)

Jess invites Leslie to come to church with him one Sunday. (Leslie's family are not churchgoers.) On the way home they are talking about the day's Bible lesson, and Jess and his little sister comment that you have to believe the Bible or God will damn you to hell. (Gee, where have we heard that before?...) Leslie responds, "You have to believe it, and you hate it. I don't have to believe it, and I think it's beautiful."

Ex ore infantium....

No comments: